Sunday, November 28, 2010

You CAN take it with you

So while I have frowned on theme decor, I do want to stress that if there is a "style" that strikes your fancy, don't be afraid to embrace it.

I just returned from a grand adventure... one that both confounded and delighted me.  We spent a week on Nevis in the West Indies.  If you haven't heard of it, don't be ashamed!  With about 12,000 inhabitants and one (currently inoperational) hotel to it's name, Nevis is sort of off the beaten path.

Liberated from British Occupation in 1983, Nevis definitely still houses some of the old British West Indies charms.  There are several old sugar plantations which have been restored and turned into genteel inns.  Among our favorites are Golden Rock Inn, The Hermitage and Montpelier.

I gleaned a few things from the charming Nevisian style which I would like to incorporate in my own decor:  The Hermitage used pewter chargers underneath each place setting; the Montpelier holds a proper cocktail hour, with themed drinks, from 7:00 to 7:30 (yes, Island time is dawdling and lovely); Golden Rock incorporated its outdoor spaces in to double its entertaining area.

British West Indies style is abundantly present... mahogany furniture, oriental carpets, local and exotic floral arrangements, exquisite place settings and crisp linens.  Louvered shutters are used instead of screens.  Bright pastels - think Pepto Pink and Cornflower Blue - dominate the scene.  Dark furniture is accented by bright white bedding.  Candles illuminate exterior space.

Maybe I can't turn my home into a gingerbread cottage like those that dotted Mt. Nevis, but I can certainly bring home some of the genteel atmosphere.  Maybe I will entertain on a little slower pace, maybe I will pour more rum (with grated nutmeg, a local trick), maybe I will buy pewter chargers on eBay.  I think I do like mahogany against ivory and my love of oriental rugs has been reaffirmed.

In short, don't be afraid to take with you more than memories... take home a little inspiration and relive your vacation every day!

1 comment: